Wednesday, January 26, 2005

who knows who/clare bowditch


photo by flutterby charlie

I'm listening to Clare Bowditch and the Feeding Set's album 'Autumn Bone' as I write. Clare Bowditch has a rare and fabulous voice and the best thing is that she sings with an Australian accent and no pretense. The music is fantastic. Magical.

Today is Australia Day. I love the celebrations that occur on such a day. Sausage sizzles. Picnics with the family in the local park, play a bit of football, a bit of cricket. Lazy day in the sun (usually - it's rained a lot today). Well, I used to do those things when I lived in the same state as the rest of my family.

I was thinking about the fact that I'm Australian today and for some reason I don't feel it. I know I am essentially Australian. I was born here. I've spent most of my life here. I really don't know what else I'd be if I decided I wasn't Australian. Not that there is such a decision to be made. I really like the idea, as was so cleverly put in an interview with Bernard Fanning when Powderfinger released their album 'Internationalist', that we are all citizens of the World. That we need to take a broader view. That we are all a part of this world. We are all 'internationalists' (and that was all paraphrasing as I don't have the article anymore). So maybe that's how I feel. Even though I haven't been overseas since 1987. I'm not sure where I'm going with this. Maybe it's the Aussie 'culture' I don't understand. Beer. Football. Or maybe it's just that I rarely think 'I'm an Australian' until Australia Day comes along. Silly.

I read today that the fantastic comedienne Margaret Cho will possibly be touring Australia in July this year. This means I am very excited. Last year I witnessed by fluke on SBS TV her live performance 'The Notorious C.H.O' and she is so raw, merciless, hilarious, touching, silly and just really original. With any luck the rumours are true.

Time for Bedfordshire.

1 comment:

Brad said...

I love me