Tuesday, January 02, 2007

bananas

I had my first banana in over 12 months last Saturday. On a buckwheat pancake with a lemon, sour cream saucey thing that I made from a cookbook. Oh, yeah. I cooked while I was away. It is so much more satisfying cooking for others. Particularly if it is your Mum and Dad and they have a brand new oven that guffaws in the face of the one in your rented flat.

Eating that banana brought forth this memory from one of the many filing cabinets full of memories I seem to have in my cavernous brain:

I'm sitting at my Uncle's dining table eating a banana. He has brought me inside (from playing totem tennis I don't doubt) and sat me down me to listen to a song. I listen and realise it is someone covering Ugly Kid Joe's AWESOME song "Cats in the Cradle".

"Oh, no, no, no!" my Uncle exclaims, "this isn't a COVER, this is the ORIGINAL!"

I pause incredulously at the thought. "Is it Cat Stevens?" I ask.

"No, it's Harry Chapin!"

"WHO?"


My brain worries me sometimes.

No comments: