Sunday, March 06, 2005

what katie did/the libertines



'shoop shoop, shoop de lang a lang... shoop shoop, shoop de lang a lang...'

I love the Libertines. Their songs sound like they could fall over and out of tune at any moment but they always manage to keep it together. The guitar sounds are so great. The two of them singing all over the place is fantastic too. Did I say that I love them? Pity they broke up and pity they are such rock 'n' roll cliches...


now that was just mean.

I've started reading 'The Tibetan Book of Living and Dying' by Sogyal Rinpoche again. I love this book. Everything about it just clicks with me on a very basic level. It also contains some of my favourite quotes, in particular this one from Albert Einstein:

'A human being is a part of a whole, called by us the "Universe", a part limited in time and space. He experiences himself, his thoughts and feelings, as something separated from the rest - a kind of optical delusion of his consciousness. This delusion is a kind of prison for us, restricting us to our personal desires and to affection for a few persons nearest us. Our task must be to free ourselves from this prison by widening our circles of compassion to embrace all living creatures and the whole of nature in its beauty.'

If only I could make that run in my mind all of the time.

I've hired some movies this afternoon. There was a brief moment where I thought I would go to see 'Ray' at the cinemas because I know nothing about Ray Charles and I love starting with a clean slate, no preconceptions. Then I figured, whether I go to Balmoral ($7.90 for an adult) or to the cinema nearby ($13.00 for an adult) it is still far better value to just hire four weekly movies for $10.00 from the local video store. So that I did and I'm especially pleased with the selections as they are ALL films I've been dying to see for such a long time:

1. 'Three Colours Blue' by Krzysztof Kieslowski (the first in the 'Three Colours' trilogy and starring the beautiful Juliette Binoche)
2. 'Lost in La Mancha' by Terry Gilliam (the making of a film that never actually got made)
3. 'American Splendor' by Robert Pulcini & Shari Springer Berman (based on the life of comic writer Harvey Pekar)
4. 'Gathering Storm' by Richard Loncraine (based on a pivotal time in the life of Winston Churchill)

I'm soooo looking forward to some interesting viewing.

1 comment:

Brad said...

I'm honored to have a window into the world of the EPG!

Your blog is fantastic! The photos are AWESOME, and your musings sublime!

I am from now on a blogbyerinpatricia fan.